Zuber-Jarrell House

Atlanta - DeKalb County

The son of German immigrants and owner of the Zuber Lumber Company, John William Zuber built the neo-classical Zuber-Jarrell House in 1906 in East Atlanta. The Zuber family lived in the house until 1927. Ten years later in 1937, John Jarrell purchased the house. The Jarrell family lived in the home until 2003 when it was purchased by the current owners, Jennifer Murray and Marc Dobiecki. Since then, the owners have worked to painstakingly rehabilitate every inch of this historic home. Major projects included restoration of the widow’s walk, reconstruction of the porte-cochere, restoration of all windows, including 12 stained glass windows, and plaster repair throughout the interior. A contributing property in the East Atlanta Historic District, the Zuber-Jarrell House has served as a living laboratory, as Jenny and Marc have graciously shared their rehabilitation process with the Georgia Trust, Georgia State students, and numerous community groups.

Excellence in Rehabilitation Awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic value.