This sprawling structure was built in 1954 and was the location for the Sperry and Hutchinson Company’s Southeast regional warehouse and distribution center. S and H green stamps were collected by consumers at participating stores and could be redeemed at S and H redemption stores for merchandise. The building underwent a Historic Tax Credit Rehabilitation from 2016 to 2018 by Arden’s Garden, a local holistic juice manufacturer. During rehabilitation, special attention was placed on retention of historic interior finishes such as the Detecto Scale, picker track, exposed metal trusses, and a terrazzo floor in the lobby. One of the more exciting chapters during the rehabilitation was the uncovering of the original terrazzo floor with the S and H logo in the office lobby, which was cleaned and restored. The historic character-defining features of the building remained largely intact while providing sanitized spaces for Arden’s Gardens juice production in the warehouse and office space within the existing original office space.
Excellence in Rehabilitation Awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic value.