University of Georgia
Athens, Clarke County
UGA’s Pound Hall, an example of early twentieth century neoclassical architecture, served as the State Normal School auditorium from 1917 to 1932 and is among the seven buildings on the UGA Health and Sciences campus listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Having undergone several renovations since its construction, the recent Pound Hall rehabilitation focused on its historic design and construction. These elements included re-establishing the original staircase landing, restored decorative railings, and fully reopening the stair at the upper level. Additional work included maintaining original wood door trim and transoms, plaster walls, wood floors and a 1950’s stained glass window. With the use of historic photos, exterior work included new double hung sash windows and new storefront doors at the entry modeled after the original.