The Mill Hill Community Arts Center was built in 1920 by the Bibb Manufacturing Company as a gathering and performance space for employees living in the mill village. The building enjoyed activity for 40 years until the closure of the mill in the 1970s. The property was in danger of demolition by neglect when the Macon Arts Alliance stepped up to save the building by raising the funds for rehabilitation. During the two-year project, interior features of the craftsman style auditorium were restored, including an original coffered ceiling uncovered during the project. The building now serves as a pillar of the arts community and serves as the centerpiece of the East Macon Arts Village.
Excellence in Rehabilitation Awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic value.