Built in 1829, the McIntosh House is the oldest building on Georgia College & State University’s campus, located directly across from the Old Governor’s Mansion. Over the past 150 years, the structure has seen its share of renovations and additions. Highlights from the recent rehabilitation include restoration of the exterior façade and modification of the interior to comply with accessibility and safety codes. This involved widening the narrow interior staircase to conform with fire codes, adding a handicap ramp, and adapting the porch so the first floor could be accessible by wheelchair. During the project, demolition work revealed the original wood wall paneling, which was repaired and reused. The original fireplaces were also restored.
Awards for Excellence in Preservation recognize the appropriate preservation of historic resources and creative interpretations of historic sites.