Madison-Morgan Cultural Center
Madison, Morgan County
This 1895 Romanesque Revival building in Madison served as one of the first grade schools in the south until 1957 when it was repurposed as the Morgan County Public Library. The Madison-Morgan Cultural Center (MMCC) opened its doors in 1976 offering a history museum of the Piedmont Region, rotating art exhibitions and world class performances. After consultation with Southface and The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation regarding rehabilitation needs, the MMCC began their project to rehabilitate and make environmental upgrades. The work focused on tightening the building envelope which included insulating the attic, window restoration, repointing brick, updating HVAC systems and appliances to ENERGY STAR levels and replacing all lighting to LED. As a result of the rehabilitation, utility bills have been lowered by 35%, a savings that can be redirected towards programming.