Leesburg Train Depot
Built in 1895, the Leesburg Train Depot originally served the Central of Georgia railway. In 2006, the structure was severely damaged during a storm and fell into disrepair. The City of Leesburg, with help from a GDOT grant and local SPLOST funds, saved the building from imminent collapse. Bead board ceilings in the office and ticket areas were restored. All original heart pine windows were restored, reglazed and painted. The original heart pine floors in the warehouse cargo area were refinished and the sliding cargo doors were reworked. The depot now serves as the home for the Lee County Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Authority.
Excellence in Rehabilitation Awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic value.