The Historic Thomasville Post Office was built in 1914 and served as the city’s post office until 1964. In 2015, Flowers Foods purchased the historic building and began a full rehabilitation. Extensive trenching and roof repairs were made to waterproof the building. Using the original building plans as reference, the front doors and the outside of the building were restored to their 1915 appearance. The lobby’s classic features, including the flooring, windows, wainscoting, pilasters, and the historic staircase were preserved. The postmaster’s secret walkway also was maintained. On the lower level, wooden chevron-patterned doors were restored, windows uncovered, original brick walls and concrete ceiling retained. On the second floor, the terrazzo stone floor with Tennessee pink marble stone borders and baseboards, rift-cut heart pine floors, original windows, doors and hardware were restored. New HVAC, plumbing and electrical, and the installation of an elevator shaft provided Flowers Foods with the amenities of a modern facility for office space and a history exhibit in the lobby—all inside a building that matches the history of their company.
Excellence in Rehabilitation Awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic value.