H.H. Tift Building and Agricultural Research Building at University of Georgia Tifton Campus
The two earliest buildings on the University of Georgia Tifton Campus, constructed in 1922 and 1937, respectively, had suffered years of weather and wear, leading to significant deterioration. Recent campus growth required more space for scientists and support offices, and reclaiming these historic buildings became imperative. The exterior envelopes of each building were restored to the original designs using the original drawings and archival photographs. The existing brick and stucco were repaired, re-pointed and cleaned. The wood and steel windows of the Agricultural Research Building were carefully restored and reglazed. Original features such as beadboard ceilings and wainscoting were preserved along with the original transoms above the doors. The buildings were also made accessible with the addition of handicapped ramps and elevators. These early campus buildings now accommodate faculty and departmental offices while retaining their historic integrity.
Excellence in Rehabilitation Awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic value.