A.H. Stephens Observation Tower
Built as a project of the Works Progress Administration in 1935, this 60-foot, three-story observation tower is located on the grounds of A.H. Stephens State Park in Taliaferro County. It once served as a fire watch tower and still holds a 3,500-gallon water tank. Restoration was undertaken to address years of water intrusion and damage. A new roof and flashing were installed, windows repaired and repainted, and interior finishes restored. The challenge of building a new staircase was solved by progressively setting the stairs further in at each landing to accommodate the inward slope of the tower walls. A new electrical system and ADA compliant ramp were also installed to help share the story of this tower’s important role in the park’s past, present, and future.
Awards for Excellence in Restoration recognize exemplary restoration of historic structures. An accurate restoration project depicts the form, features and character of a historic building as it appeared at a particular period of time. Restoration requires sensitive upgrading of mechanical systems and other code-required work to make the site functional.