The 1903 YMCA building was the first permanent headquarters of the YMCA of Metropolitan Columbus, a city with the third oldest Y in the country with membership dating to 1856. With construction made possible through the support of native Columbus philanthropist George Foster Peabody, the grand marble building was modeled after the founding YMCA organization’s building in London and is the only marble Y in the United States.
The building was in use until 2010 when a new facility was constructed a few blocks north. The historic Columbus YMCA building is now owned by the First Presbyterian Church, which has no known plans for the building’s restoration or use. Although they have attempted to sell the building, it remains in a state of disrepair and increasing deterioration. Appropriate alternative uses for the building will help insure that this magnificent building once again contributes to the community.