Hancock County Courthouse
Listed as a 2013 Place in Peril, the Hancock County Courthouse is in the National Register for Historic Places. Built in 1883 and designed by Atlanta architecture firm Parkins and Bruce in the Second Empire style, the courthouse was well known for its red brick façade and prominent clock tower. After suffering from decline due to a lack of funding for maintenance, the county had recently started $150,000 worth of exterior renovations.
In August 2014, a fire ripped through the courthouse, destroying the famed clock tower and leaving only the exterior brick walls standing. The county will be forced to relocate its business in the short term as it works with insurance adjusters, architects, engineers and contractors to rebuild the courthouse with the inclusion of modern upgrades necessary for today’s county courthouse. The Georgia Trust supports these efforts and will work with the county on rebuilding the courthouse.