A volunteer fire department was established in Rome in 1850, followed shortly by other competing fire departments. In 1908, the departments became consolidated and in 1927, Fire Station No. 2 opened its doors at 504 S. Broad Street. It is Rome’s second oldest fire station and one of South Rome’s last standing historic non-residential buildings
After its closing, the fire station, built in the Tudor style (though its front gable half timbers are now missing), was gifted to the South Broad Baptist Church. It is mostly used for storage by the church, who has no longterm plans for the building. Some church leaders have expressed interest in seeing the building preserved, but they don’t have the resources to do so themselves. Maintenance issues are beginning to appear, and there is concern that without attention, it will soon fall into disrepair.