Named after the cedar trees planted in the front of the home, Cedar Grove was built in 1851 in the Italianate style. Following the end of the Civil War, the house was owned by several prominent residents of Columbia County. In 1964, Our Savior Episcopal Church bought the property, converting part of the house into a sanctuary and hosting community meetings and events. From 1970 to 1980, the house functioned as Cedar Grove Kindergarten which served as the first integrated kindergarten program in Columbia County.
Over the decades, the congregation has made use of the property as it best fits the needs of its mission. The recent discovery of mold, along with the ongoing costs of maintenance, threaten the continued use of the building, as the needs and capacity of the congregation have changed. Advocates hope that raising awareness will help identify a thoughtful approach to its preservation.