Sparta, Hancock County
Completed in 1839, this elegant Greek revival house in Sparta has a central hall plan with six bedrooms and 12 fireplaces. The house had been in the possession of the Georgia Trust and was recently sold in the fall of 2015. Improvements have been made since the sale which included gutter systems, positive grading, replaced window panes and shutters. On the interior, the original pine floor was restored in the main hall following the removal of asbestos tile, bathrooms and kitchens were remodeled, and blown-in insulation was installed along with modern HVAC units throughout all three levels of the house. Since this successful rehabilitation, the house was featured on the Georgia Trust’s Expedition to Sparta.