Built in 1874, on the original campus of Emory College in Oxford, Humanities Hall is one of the premier academic buildings on the quad. After almost 150 years of continuous use and a variety of partial remodeling projects, Humanities Hall underwent a thorough rehabilitation to reveal, preserve, and celebrate the original fabric of the building while sensitively inserting new classrooms and a state-of-the-art academic setting that can be used long into the future. Throughout the building, historic doorways and columns were exposed and preserved and original plaster on masonry walls was repaired. This project took a well-used but outdated building and turned it into a character-filled space for learning. As with all of its historic properties, Emory protects the legacy of its Oxford campus with the ongoing restoration, modernization, and care of its buildings.
Excellence in Stewardship Awards recognize those who ensure the preservation of historic properties through long-term care and maintenance, stabilization, protection or continuous family ownership.