Augusta Warehouse & Compress Co.

Augusta - Richmond County

Designed by G.L. Preacher in 1916, the Augusta Warehouse & Compress Company is the only remaining cotton warehouse complex from the early 20th century in Augusta. Efforts to rehabilitate this structure, aided by the use of State and Federal historic tax credits, converted 35 industrial compartments into 140 residential apartments. Facing challenges like severely neglected roofs and the need to balance existing character with modern needs, the preservation effort successfully retained the district’s historical significance. Rehabilitation work included reintroducing original vent openings as windows and adding low-profile skylights for natural light. The survival and revitalization of this complex connects the city of Augusta to its industrial history and provides crucial housing for its growing population. ¬†


Excellence in Rehabilitation Awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic value.