The Children of Israel Synagogue and the Court of Ordinary are significant mid-19th century buildings in Augusta. In 1869 the cornerstone for the Greek Revival temple-style synagogue was laid, making it the oldest standing synagogue in the state. When the congregation moved in the 1950s, the building became government offices. After several buildings were damaged by fires during the 1850s, a fireproof building was proposed for the Court of the Ordinary. Construction began in 1861 for the building which would house public records. Both buildings were vacant by 2015.
Augusta-Richmond County and Historic Augusta, Inc. have reached an agreement for the preservation of both buildings which will be used as a new Augusta Historic Jewish Museum. This agreement is contingent on reaching fundraising benchmarks and Historic Augusta, Inc. is accepting donations to be earmarked for the museum project until the museum’s nonprofit status is approved.