Whitfield-Murray Historical Society
For 67 years, The Whitfield-Murray Historical Society has provided steady hands for the preservation of significant resources. Their stewardship began in 1952 when the organization took on the daunting task of saving and preserving the Chief Van House in Spring Place. Those efforts paid off handsomely and since then the organization has saved and preserved the Wright Hotel, Chatsworth Depot, the old Spring Place Methodist Church, the 1848 Blunt House, Hamilton House, Dug Gap Battle Park, the 1855 Huff House, and the 1890 Crown Gardens and Archives. Their community outreach also targets children and adults with workshops that benefit the community. This intrepid organization ensures their mission of preserving the past and teaching for the future helps save the historic built environment.
Excellence in Stewardship Awards recognize those who ensure the preservation of historic properties through long-term care and maintenance, stabilization, protection or continuous family ownership.