The Dart House was built by William Dart, son of Brunswick’s co-founder Urbanas Dart, over 137 years ago on the family’s original tract of land. The two-story house was constructed in the Folk Victorian style using locally milled cypress and pine, and has survived numerous hurricanes, including the devastating storm of 1898. The Dart family maintained ownership until 1983, when the house was sold to the Golden Isle-Brunswick Chamber of Commerce, which undertook an extensive rehabilitation at the time of purchase.
The Chamber of Commerce relocated to newer office space in 2013, leaving the Dart House empty and susceptible to deferred maintenance and deterioration. In September, 2014, the Chamber entered an agreement with the Historic Brunswick Foundation to allow the Foundation five months to raise $300,000 so that it may purchase the property. The Foundation set a goal to raise $500,000 in order to acquire the building and meet any restoration and maintenance needs. Failure to raise the acquisition funds may result in demolition of this important house.