Macon, Bibb County
Once home to the Tattnall Square Presbyterian Church, the 1891 sanctuary had been vacant for several years before Mercer University took ownership in 2012. A contributing building to the Macon Historic District, the church’s rehabilitation is a key component of the revitalization of the corridor between Mercer’s campus, the revitalized Beall’s Hill neighborhood, and downtown Macon. The project preserved key architectural and religious features while creating new art studios, workshops, faculty offices in rehabilitated Sunday school rooms, and a versatile performance space in the sanctuary. The space is also available to local non-profits for use, supporting Mercer’s vision and commitment to its community.