Constructed in 1940, the Leotis Building served as a storage and distribution warehouse for businessman Pontell Leotis, who operated his business until 1973. The recent rehabilitation updated and combined several of the first-floor commercial spaces, made the utility and service areas more efficient, and created twelve apartment units on the second floor. By maintaining the historic volume of the commercial spaces and highlighting the second floor’s steel roof trusses, this project utilized federal and state historic tax credits. The Leotis Building is one of the largest historic rehabilitations in the history of downtown Brunswick and brings welcome new life to the commercial corridor.
Excellence in Rehabilitation Awards recognize projects that make compatible use of a building through repair, alterations or additions while preserving features of the property that convey its historic value.