Fitzgerald, Ben Hill County
Constructed in 1903, Fitzgerald’s First National Bank Building originally housed a bank on the first floor, a dentist’s office on the second floor, and a barbershop in the basement. After serving the community in a number of ways over the years, the building was eventually vacated and neglected. Its recent rehabilitation project used a Georgia Cities Foundation loan and state and federal tax credits to replace the roof, add new electrical and mechanical systems, and restore historic details including mosaic tile floors in the lobby, nine-over-two windows on the second floor, and cast iron steps leading to the records vault. This project created a two bedroom apartment on the second floor with event and meeting space available below.