Macon’s historic Fire Hall

Macon - Bibb County

The City of Macon built the Mechanics Engine House No. 4 to house one of several volunteer firefighting companies, and it is the only intact 19th-century firehouse that remains in the city. The building was used as a firehouse from its construction until 1930, but had sat vacant for many years before Historic Macon purchased the property in 2018. While the building was in stable condition, rehabilitation focused on masonry repair, new roofing, and structural framing repair of the second floor.  The Fire Hall is now the headquarters of the Historic Macon Foundation, expanding the boundaries of revitalization in downtown Macon and proving their commitment to revitalizing communities by preserving architecture and sharing history.

The Chairman’s Award is presented at the sole discretion of the Georgia Trust Chairman of the Board of Trustees to recognize extraordinary efforts contributing to the preservation of Georgia’s historic resources.