Constructed in 1910, this building replaced an earlier hospital that was located in a home that was demolished to allow for the construction of the Griffin City Hall building. Harralson Bleckley, architect of the historic Griffin City Hall, donated his plans for the new hospital on Meriwether St. to help mitigate the loss of the old hospital. At the time of construction, the building was worth an estimated $25,000, but was built for $15,000 thanks to reuse of materials and generous donations. The building also served as a nurses’ dormitory and personal care facility.
The building is now vacant and in disrepair. It was acquired by the City of Griffin’s Land Bank and a new owner is being sought. Haistens Hospital is a critical property for future development of its neighborhood.