Wal-Mart Donates Historic Houses to Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation’s Revolving Fund Program
ATLANTA, Nov. 5, 2010— The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation announced today its acquisition of three historic houses in Forsyth donated from the Wal-Mart Real Estate Business Trust. The houses will become part of the Georgia Trust’s Revolving Fund program, which provides effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties.
“These houses are representative of the historic architecture of Forsyth,” said Mark C. McDonald, President and CEO of The Georgia Trust. “Our goal is to save these historic properties and fulfill our obligation of helping the city of Forsyth find the best alternative for these houses” McDonald added.
Since 2006 the houses have been the subject of controversy as Forsyth city officials at the time rezoned a residential area to allow construction of a new Wal-Mart Supercenter. After the rezoning, Wal-Mart has worked with community preservation leaders and the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation to reach an agreement, which will lead to the preservation of three historic homes in the buffer strip required by Forsyth planning officials. Later today Georgia Trust key staff will be meeting with Forsyth officials and community members to discuss the best uses for these properties and the Trust marketing strategy to put these properties back in private use for the betterment of the city.
About the houses
The Bloodworth-Pace House was constructed in 1875 and features a pedimented gable with pointed arch wood vents and shaped cornice brackets. The house was remodeled in the 1930s in the Colonial Revival style, and the original porch was replaced with a pedimented gable stoop with paired Doric columns.
The Bogle-Kyte House was constructed in 1914 and was once called “one of the handsomest homes in Forsyth.” This two-story late Victorian-era house features a central hallway, large centered hipped roof dormer with fixed 4/1 windows, slightly overhanging boxed eaves, and tall corbelled brick chimneys.
The Miller-Webb House is a Victorian railroad cottage constructed around 1905. The house is two rooms deep with a central hallway.
About the Georgia Trust’s Revolving Fund Program
The Georgia Trust’s Revolving Fund Program was established in 1990 to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and enabling owners of endangered historic properties to connect with buyers who will rehabilitate their properties.
The Georgia Trust accomplishes this goal by either accepting property donations or by purchasing options on endangered historic properties. The properties are then marketed nationally to locate buyers who agree to preserve and maintain the structures. Protective covenants are attached to the deeds to ensure that the historic integrity of each property is retained, and purchasers are required to sign rehabilitation agreements based on the work to be performed on the structure.
About the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation
Founded in 1973, the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation is one of the country’s largest statewide, nonprofit preservation organizations. The Trust is committed to preserving and enhancing Georgia’s communities and their diverse historic resources for the education and enjoyment of all.
The Trust generates community revitalization by finding buyers for endangered properties acquired by its Revolving Fund and raises awareness of other endangered historic resources through an annual listing of Georgia’s “Places in Peril.” The Trust helps revitalize downtowns by providing design and technical assistance in 102 Georgia Main Street cities; trains Georgia’s teachers in 63 Georgia school systems to engage students in discovering state and national history through their local historic resources; and advocates for funding, tax incentives and other laws aiding preservation efforts. To learn more, visit www.georgiatrust.org.