Hay House docents work as tour guides, providing historical background information for the 18,000 square-foot antebellum mansion, a National Historic Landmark in Macon, Georgia. Docents are expected to interact with our guests and staff while working at the reception desk; therefore, hospitality, basic receptionist skills, and public speaking ability are important.
Summary of Duties:
Provides services to visitors to Hay House including admissions, tours and museum shop sales. Reports to the Curator of Education.
- Conducts tours for individual visitors and groups, interpreting the house, its collections, and 19th and 20th -century life based on provided training materials and updates;
- Sells tickets for general and group admission to Hay House;
- Maintains daily admission record sheet;
- Answers the Hay House telephone, provides basic information to callers, directs callers to other staff as appropriate, and takes messages when necessary;
- Protects the collection while on duty;
- Assists with reservations and payments for special tours & events as needed;
- Assists with payment collections for scheduled school and group tours;
- Handles and monitors museum shop sales;
- Attends staff meetings and training opportunities;
- Assists in shop operations as requested;
- Assists in special projects as requested by Education Coordinator.
Position requires strong verbal communication skills, a pleasant manner, and the ability to work well with the general public. Must be able to work well under pressure, have the ability to handle large groups, and be willing to learn all specific historical information required for tours. Must be able to handle money and work with a cash register. A high school diploma is required. Some college is preferred. Criminal background check is required.
Full Time / Part-Time:
Exempt / Nonexempt:
Send cover letter and resume to William Aultman. No phone calls please.