Designed in the Federal style, the former Sparta Female Dormitory was built c.1815, with the front of the house added c.1831. This former-dorm-turned-private-residence offers 3,800 square feet of living space on 0.31 acres. The two-story structure was one of two dormitories for the Sparta Female Model School, which was established in 1832. The school educated young women from 1831-1895 and offered four levels of education from primary to collegiate. Seven disciplines were offered, ranging from “cosmics,” which included needlework and painting, to history, mathematics and government. The dorm was later converted into a private residence. The property once featured a single-story front porch and has a standing seam metal roof. The structure consists of heavy timber, mortise and tenon construction, and many of the home’s charming original interior features remain intact including eight fireplaces, wide plank wood floors, plaster walls and original wood doors and trim.
The Sparta Female Dormitory currently has eight rooms, which includes three bedrooms and two bathrooms. After many years of neglect, the house will require significant interior and exterior rehabilitation. Substantial repairs that are needed include stabilization of the foundation, reconstruction of the front porch, repairs to the siding and trim, replacement of the windows, restoration of the plaster, and installation of modern amenities and utilities. Because of its age, solid construction and distinctive features, the building is a valuable contribution to Georgia’s architectural history. The house is a contributing property within the Sparta Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and may be eligible for state and federal rehabilitation incentives.
Located in Hancock County, Sparta is just over 100 miles east of Atlanta and is roughly 70 miles west of Augusta. It has a population of approximately 1,700. Founded in 1795, Sparta flourished throughout the nineteenth century due to the cotton industry. Many fine residential and commercial buildings were built during this time, but the town fell into great economic decline when the boll weevil affected cotton plantations. Teeming with several historic sites and monuments, Sparta has been described as an outdoor museum of Greek Revival architecture, while the Hancock County Courthouse, an excellent example of Victorian-era architecture, is just one of the many structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
About The Georgia Trust
The Georgia Trust is a nonprofit statewide preservation organization. The Revolving Fund program was established to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and monitoring their preservation in perpetuity. All properties sold through this program have conservation easements in place to ensure the historic integrity of the property is retained. Additionally, buyers are required to sign a Rehabilitation Agreement and all work done to the property must abide by the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. Copies of these documents will be provided by The Georgia Trust for review.
Contact InfoDennis Lovello
contact via email