Cherry Cottage is one of the oldest existing buildings in Wilkes County. Its lot was bought by Constantine Church from the town commissioners in 1784. Though its exact date of construction is unknown, several different sources list the house’s construction as no later than 1819. The building was later named Cherry Cottage in the mid 19th-century by Miss E. M. and Miss M. L. Barnett in reference to the cherry trees planted in its yard.
Later, the home was donated for use as the headquarters of the Washington-Wilkes Garden Clubs. Cherry Cottage is one of the oldest existing buildings in Wilkes County. The building is a one-and-a-half story wood sided home containing 3,408 square feet, consisting of four bedrooms, two baths, a living room, dining room, kitchen, and library. Its lot is 1.10 acres and cannot be subdivided.
An exterior restoration project was recently completed and included the repair and re-glazing of all windows, a new roof over the front porch, repairs to side porch decking, and new paint on all exterior surfaces of the house and out buildings. The house is in good condition, but some rehabilitation work is still necessary. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and may be eligible for several financial incentives, including an 8 1/2 year tax abatement and tax credits for substantial rehabilitation.
A buyer of a Revolving Fund property must sign a Reserved Conservation Easement and Preservation Agreement. The easement, which ensures the historic integrity of the property is retained, is attached to the deed in perpetuity and is monitored by The Georgia Trust. The preservation agreement specifies that all work done to the property must follow the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation, and provides a rehabilitation schedule that indicates all work will be completed in a reasonable amount of time.
About The Georgia Trust Revolving Fund Program
The Georgia Trust is a non-profit statewide preservation organization, part of a network of local, state and national organizations dedicated to the preservation of significant historic resources. The Revolving Fund Program was established to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and monitoring their preservation in perpetuity.
Contact InfoBen Sutton, Historic Properties Coordinator
contact via email