The Georgia Trust

ENDANGERED PROPERTIES FOR SALE

Madison Folk Victorian

Madison Folk Victorian
399 W. Jefferson Street
Madison, GA
c. 1891

SOLD

Price: $41,000*
*Price reflects new roof

Contact:
Kate Ryan
Programs Manager
404-885-7817

 

House as it appeared in
Madison, Georgia: An Architectural Guide

Front Facade

Southeast Facade

Northwest Facade

 

A Diamond in the Rough

This 1,300 sq. ft. Folk Victorian style house was built by Joseph M. McLeroy. According to historians, the property would have been a desirable location at the time, as it was located near two railroad depots (Georgia Railroad was established in the area around 1841, and the Covington & Macon - later absorbed by the Central of Georgia - in 1888.

Preservation architect Joseph Smith of Madison is currently working on a rehabiliation plan for The Georgia Trust. This plan will be included with the purchase price to successful purchasers of the property.

The house will require substantial rehabilitation including all electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems.

As part of a National Register of Historic Places district, the house is eligible for several financial incentives, including an 8 1/2 year tax abatement and tax credits for substantial rehabilitation.

 

About Madison, Georgia

Also known as the town Sherman refused to burn, Madison contains many beautifully restored antebellum homes and is the largest historic district in the United States. Morgan County also includes part of Lake Oconee, a 19,000 acre reservoir providing some of the state's best fishing, water skiing, boating, camping, picnicking, championship golf and tennis, as well as beautiful lakefront homes.


Directions to the Madison Folk Victorian House

The house is located in Morgan County. From Atlanta. Take I-20 East to Exit 113, GA-83 towards Madison/Monticello. Turn left onto GA-83/Monticello Road for 1.6 miles. Turn right onto Atlanta Hwy/US-278/GA-12/GA-83/Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway for 1.7 miles. Turn left onto West Washington Street/GA-83/Bostwick Road. Turn right onto West Jefferson Street. The house will be on the left.

 

The Georgia Trust is a non-profit statewide preservation organization, part of a network of local, state and national organizations dedicated to the preservation of significant historic resources. The Revolving Fund Program was established to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and monitoring their preservation in perpetuity. A buyer of a Revolving Fund property is required to sign a Rehabilitation Agreement and donate an Architectural and Preservation Easement to The Georgia Trust. The easement, which ensures the historic integrity of the property is retained, is attached to the deed in perpetuity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search