7241 South Goddard Road
Lithonia, GA 30038
Rural Retreat Just 20 Miles From Atlanta
Philip Housworth came from South Carolina in the 1820's and settled in the Klondike area with his sons, eventually purchasing large tracts of land in the region. In 1852, his son Michael purchased the house, believed to have been constructed c. 1843 by Abraham or John Housworth.
Originally built as a hall and parlor house with a detached kitchen, it has since experienced several additions. For over 160 years this house remained in the Housworth family. The Housworth-Moseley House is believed to be one of the oldest houses in Dekalb County and is part of the Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area and the recently designated Klondike National Register Historic District.
The 1,200 sq. ft. home sits on 7.4 acres near the Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve. Outbuildings include a corn crib, grain shed, smokehouse, sorghum evaporator, and livestock pen, all constructed in the 19th or early 20th centuries. The lot features a large front yard and behind the house are mature woods and a small picturesque creek.
The house has two bedrooms, one bathroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, and family room. Features include two fireplaces, original hardwood floors, original wooden walls and ceilings. The house will require rehabilitation, including updating systems, wood repair, and window repair.
The Housworth-Moseley features a largely intact historic interior, including extensive original woodwork, with pine wallboards up to 19 inches wide and historic pine tongue and groove floors throughout much of the house. Surrounding the house is a noteworthy compilation of outbuildings dating from the mid 19th to the early 20th century. Such a fine example of an early farm complex is extremely rare in Georgia.
As part of the Klondike National Register District, the house is eligible for several financial incentives, including an 8 1/2 year tax abatement and tax credits for substantial rehabilitation.
Directions to the Housworth-Moseley House
The Housworth-Moseley House is located in Dekalb County. From Atlanta, take I-20 East to Exit 74-Evans Mill Rd. Turn right off the ramp and go through the light onto Woodrow Dr. At the stop sign, turn right onto Klondike Rd. Go 3 miles and turn left onto S. Goddard Road. Go about 1 mile and the house will be on the right.
About The Georgia Trust Revolving Fund program
The Georgia Trust is a non-profit statewide preservation organization, part of a network of local, state and national organizations dedicated to the preservation of significant historic resources. The Revolving Fund Program was established to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and monitoring their preservation in perpetuity.
A buyer of a Revolving Fund property must sign a Reserved Conservation Easement and Preservation Agreement. The easement, which ensures the historic integrity of the property is retained, is attached to the deed in perpetuity and is monitored by The Georgia Trust. The preservation agreement specifies that all work done to the property must follow the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation, and provides a rehabilitation schedule that indicates all work will be completed in a reasonable amount of time.