The Georgia Trust

ENDANGERED PROPERTIES FOR SALE


Berry House

Berry House
161 Maiden Lane
Sparta, GA 31087
c. 1820
Land: +/- 1 acre

REDUCED
New Price: $160,000
Down from $170,000

Contact:
Kate Ryan
Director of Preservation
404-885-7817
kryan@georgiatrust.org


Exterior


Dining room


Dining room with original ceiling stencil


Master bedroom


Guest bedroom


Parlor


Berry House

The Berry House, with construction dating to before 1820, is one of Sparta's earliest houses. Historically known as the Richard Malcolm Johnston-Ann Berry House, the house's design is reminiscent of 19th-century New England homes. Originally built with a detached kitchen, the Berry House is now two rooms wide and one room deep with an el housing the kitchen and a bath.

The woodframe house features two large rooms, each roughly 20' x 20', on either side of the main entrance hall on the lower level and two large bedrooms on the second level. The dining room, with its original fireplace and painted ceiling stencil, flows into a new modern kitchen. Above the kitchen is a large bathroom with a showerstall and separate tub. Original interior features, such as wall planks and wooden mantels, have been well preserved and maintained.

The Berry House is in excellent condition and will require very few repairs and upgrades. Recent work on the house employed energy saving techniques and included system upgrades and the installation of insulation.

The Georgia Trust is a nonprofit statewide preservation organization. The Endangered Properties program was established to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and monitoring their preservation in perpetuity. All properties sold through our Endangered Properties program have conservation easements in place to ensure the historic integrity of the property is retained. Additionally, buyers are required to sign a Rehabilitation Agreement and all work done to the property must abide by The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation. Copies of these documents will be provided by The Georgia Trust for review.

About The Georgia Trust Revolving Fund program

The Georgia Trust is a non-profit statewide preservation organization, part of a network of local, state and national organizations dedicated to the preservation of significant historic resources. The Revolving Fund Program was established to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and monitoring their preservation in perpetuity.

A buyer of a Revolving Fund property must sign a Reserved Conservation Easement and Preservation Agreement. The easement, which ensures the historic integrity of the property is retained, is attached to the deed in perpetuity and is monitored by The Georgia Trust. The preservation agreement specifies that all work done to the property must follow the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation, and provides a rehabilitation schedule that indicates all work will be completed in a reasonable amount of time.

*Drawings not to scale

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search