The Georgia Trust

ENDANGERED PROPERTIES FOR SALE

Bagwell-Little House

Bagwell-Little House
Athens Street
Carnesville, GA 30521
c. 1810

Price: $199,000

Contact:
Kate Ryan
Programs Manager
404-885-7817

 

Side View

Stairwell

Fireplace Mantel

Faux wood-grained door

 

The Bagwell-Little House, built c. 1810, stands today with few alterations to its original floor plan. The Bagwell family is known to have settled in Carnesville in the late 1700s. Judge Little, a member of one of the oldest families in Franklin county and a prominent attorney, judge and state legislator, purchased the house from the Bagwell estate in 1880. Descendents of his family lived in the house until 1996.

This Plantation Plain house has approximately 2400 square-feet with five rooms, hall and bathroom downstairs and five rooms upstairs. The kitchen was added in the 1920s. Original interior features include hardware, faux painted panels and graining on the doors and wainscoting. The house has five fireplaces. There is a basement and one outbuilding, which is in poor condition.

The house, which sits on 1.75 acres, is currently set up for shops, offices or small restaurant. It has all new systems, roof and siding, but needs restoration of interior paint surfaces.

The Bagwell-Little House is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places and, if listed, may be eligible for several financial incentives, including an 8 1/2 year tax abatement and tax credits for substantial rehabilitation.

 

Directions to the Bagwell-Little House

Carnesville is the county seat of Franklin County in northeast Georgia. It is approximately 40 miles northeast of Athens. From Atlanta: Take I-85 east to exit 164 - Ga. Hwy. 320. Turn right off ramp. Turn left onto Ga. Hwy 59. As you come into Carnesville, turn right on Athens Street. The house is on the right.

The Georgia Trust is a non-profit statewide preservation organization, part of a network of local, state and national organizations dedicated to the preservation of significant historic resources. The Revolving Fund Program was established to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and monitoring their preservation in perpetuity. A buyer of a Revolving Fund property is required to sign a Rehabilitation Agreement and donate an Architectural and Preservation Easement to The Georgia Trust. The easement, which ensures the historic integrity of the property is retained, is attached to the deed in perpetuity.

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search