The Georgia Trust

2017 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

MERRITT-LONG HOUSE
Macon, Bibb County

Built in 1894 by T. E. Merritt in Macon, the Folk Victorian cottage was acquired by the Historic Macon Foundation (HMF) and rehabilitation work began in 2015. Having been vacant for decades, the house and its considerable size made the project the largest by HMF to date. The rehabilitation work included the front porch, which was designed based on the original footprint evidenced on a historic Sanborn map, opening up the hallway which had been divided into separate rooms and maintaining the historic wood flooring whenever possible. The rehabilitation utilized tax credits and the state's preferential property tax assessment program and is a contributing property in the Tindall Heights Historic district.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search