The Georgia Trust

2017 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

HISTORIC JEKYLL ISLAND BEACH PAVILION
Jekyll Island, Glynn County

Built in 1955, the Jekyll Island Beach Pavilion was the first beach and resort in Georgia designated for African Americans. Three other buildings were constructed shortly after, and the compound later became known as The Dolphin Club and Motor Hotel. After the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Jekyll Island Authority used the facility for a variety of youth activities. In the 1980s, the property became part of the Georgia 4-H Camp system. Recent rehabilitation efforts returned the pavilion to its 1955 appearance. All subsequent additions were removed, with upgrades in technology, HVAC systems and changes required to meet ADA compliance. The entire complex was documented with photographs and measured drawings prior to rehabilitation, and the history of the property is being recorded in a series of exhibits at the new Arrival/Administration building.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search