The Georgia Trust

2015 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN PRESERVATION

PORTER MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM
Porterdale, Newton County

Constructed in 1938, the Porter Memorial Gymnasium was a gift to the city of Porterdale from Oliver and Julia Porter, owners of the Bibb Manufacturing Company. The gym served as a community gathering place for high school sporting events and seasonal festivities. Following the mill's closure in the 1970s, the gym sat unused until a fire in 2005 destroyed all but the structural shell of the building. The cost of a full rehabilitation was daunting, so the community raised money to preserve the existing structure and repurpose the gymnasium as an open-air community center and events venue. The gym now occupies its rightful place as a revitalized jewel in the heart of the Porterdale Historic District.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search