The Georgia Trust

2015 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

OLD ELKS LODGE
Milledgeville, Baldwin County

This circa 1926 commercial building was built on the site of an earlier Elks Lodge that was burned in 1917. It served as a meeting place for the local chapter of Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks and later as the Baldwin County Library before being vacated and falling into disrepair. In an effort to save and repurpose this historic downtown building, the City of Milledgeville purchased it for office space. Working closely with the architecture firm Lord Aeck and Sargent, they retained character-defining features, including its open stair, pressed metal ceilings, red gum floors, plaster walls and window casings. The building now houses the City's Planning and Development Department, its Offices of Human Resources Division and the Downtown Development Department.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search