The Georgia Trust

2015 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

NORRIS HALL
Savannah College of Art and Design
Savannah, Chatham County

Norris Hall was originally built in 1858 as the Abrahams Home for Elderly Widows of Savannah and it was managed by the Savannah Widows Society until the organization ceased operation in 1984. In 1989 Savannah College of Art and Design acquired the building, renamed it Norris Hall in honor of the building's architect, John Norris, and began using it for classroom space. By the early 2000s the building was in need of repairs and updating and the college decided to undertake a significant rehabilitation of the facility. Repairs were made to the exterior stucco and windows and the entire building was repainted. The interior was rehabilitated to allow for more open space and common areas that better serve the building's current use as the home of SCAD's International Student Services and Study Abroad programs.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search