The Georgia Trust

2015 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN RESTORATION

CHATTAHOOCHEE PARK PAVILION
Gainesville, Hall County

The Chattahoochee Park Pavilion was built around 1900 as part of a public amusement park on the banks of what was then known as Lake Warner. In 1923 Chattahoochee Park was purchased by the Georgia Power Company and used as an employee retreat until 1955, when the creation of Lake Lanier flooded much of the property. The pavilion is the only structure that remains from the original amusement park. In 2012 The Georgia Trust listed the pavilion on its Places in Peril list, renewing the City of Gainesville's focus on the preservation of the property and spurring local partnerships. The City partnered with the owners, American Legion Post #7, by providing funds for materials; the Georgia Department of Corrections provided in-kind labor; and a local architect and contractor provided their services free of charge.


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search