The Georgia Trust

2014 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

White Columns
Cartersville, Bartow County

In 1876 John Conyers constructed a two-story Victorian home near the main square of the newly-formed city of Cartersville. After the construction of a new courthouse across the street in 1903, the lady of the house requested that her home also have white columns and so it took the form and style we see today. The house saw many more changes, subdivisions and additions prior to being abandoned in the 1980s. The house was on the brink of demolition when it was purchased by its current owners, who promptly stabilized the house and removed deteriorating non-historic additions. Architectural elements such as historic windows, doors and mantles were carefully restored and the namesake columns were removed, hand-sanded, and reinstalled. White Columns is once again a grand residence, reflecting the history of this once residential part of Cartersville.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search