The Georgia Trust

2014 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

The Baldwin Lofts
Milledeville, Baldwin County

Built in 1903 and originally named the Horne Building, the Baldwin Building is a three-story commercial building in downtown Milledgeville. Originally consisting of retail space on the ground floor and office space above, the façade was covered in an aluminum slipcover and storefronts were replaced in 1946. Although the aluminum panels were later removed, the modernized storefronts remained in place, bricks were painted, and the upstairs windows fell into disrepair. The recent rehabilitation restored the Baldwin Building's historic façade and street level storefronts. The upper floors were converted to apartments, retaining the building's central hallways and high ceilings. The project utilized both the 20% federal tax credit and state rehabilitation tax credits which facilitated the financing strategy for design, construction and operation.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search