The Georgia Trust

2014 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

Southern Railway Depot
Lavonia, Franklin County

The Southern Railway Depot in Lavonia served passengers and freight from 1912 until the early 1950s, when many short line rail systems were decommissioned. Beginning in 1959, the building was altered repeatedly as it housed several different local businesses. The depot's recent rehabilitation included exterior repairs, new exterior paint based on Southern Railway's historic color schemes, and the replacement of non-historic doors and windows with more historically appropriate ones. The original layout of the interior was restored, as were the ticket window and original interior finishes. Today the Lavonia Welcome Center, Downtown Development Authority and Better Hometown offices are located in the depot, along with local history displays and exhibits that are open to the public. As such it plays an integral part in preserving and documenting the history of the city and its residents.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search