The Georgia Trust

2014 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN RESTORATION

Oglethorpe County Jail
Lexington, Oglethorpe County

Built in 1878, this brick jailhouse was the oldest continuously used jail in Georgia until it closed in 2007. The building originally featured a mansard roof that supported a water reservoir, supplying the jail with what is believed to be the first indoor plumbing in Lexington. Over the years the jail underwent many renovations and alterations, including the removal of the mansard roof, interior renovations, the installation of two steel cells in 1935, and several building additions. The restoration was made possible through a partnership with Historic Oglethorpe County, Inc. and Oglethorpe County, and three major grants from the Watson-Brown Foundation. After the removal of the late 20th century additions, the project focused on restoring the exterior and interior to the jail's 1935 appearance and setting. Additional funds will contribute to the creation of exhibits on the building's history and context for display.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search