The Georgia Trust

2014 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

Language Hall
Emory University Oxford Oxford, Newton County

Constructed in 1874 on the quad of Emory University Oxford, Language Hall is one of a group of late 19th century buildings that define the character of the university's historic campus. Modifications to Language Hall over the years included the removal of chimneys, replacement of windows, and the reconfiguration of the interior. Every decision made during the recent rehabilitation process was based on research conducted on this building as well as the neighboring historic Humanities Hall. Historic materials such as plaster walls, terra cotta window hoods and heart pine flooring were restored. A new addition on the rear of the building was inspired by the design of the Humanities Hall and adds much needed office space. The addition's juncture with the original building exposes a historic window hood and doorway, a detail that adds to the richness of the building by revealing a shadow of its past.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search