The Georgia Trust

2014 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

Jesup Railroad Depot
Jesup, Wayne County

The Jesup Depot was built in 1903 by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad and remained in use until 2003 when it was severely damaged by fire. Two years after the devastating fire, the City of Jesup received over $800,000 in Federal funds to purchase and restore the building. During its century of use as a combination freight and passenger depot, the building's signature 12-foot eaves were shortened or removed in many places in order to accommodate taller vehicles. The rehabilitation, completed in 2012, restored the building's deep overhangs and its original patterns of door and window openings. The depot's interior was rebuilt using materials and finishes reminiscent of the early 20th century. Today the Jesup Depot houses a welcome center with offices and community gathering space while continuing to serve as one of only five Amtrak station stops in Georgia.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search