The Georgia Trust

2014 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

Collum Hall
Georgia Southwestern State University Americus, Sumter County

When Georgia Southwestern State University needed more space for administrative offices and classrooms, they initially considered demolishing Collum Hall, built as a dormitory in 1952. After careful financial analysis, it was determined that despite its inefficient interior layout, the building could be repurposed to serve the needs of the university in a way that would be less costly than demolition and new construction. As the layout of small dorm rooms was no longer applicable to modern needs, interior walls were removed to create classrooms and offices of various sizes. The exterior of the three-story building was completely restored and an elevator tower was sensitively added to one end. Collum Hall is now home to the South Georgia College Entry Program with additional classrooms and offices for Georgia Southwestern State University.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search