The Georgia Trust

2013 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

Smith Drug and Seed Co. Building
Valdosta, Lowndes County

Like many other commercial buildings in downtown Valdosta, this circa 1890 building served different purposes over the years, including a saloon, a department store, pawn broker, and the Smith Drug & Seed Company. After sitting vacant for over a decade, the building was purchased in 2011 by Clinton and Jean Beeland who undertook an extensive rehabilitation project to convert the building into the headquarters of their locally based company. Rehabilitation work included repairing the historic tin ceiling tiles and other interior finishes, structural repairs, and rehabilitating the storefront. The project took advantage of both state and federal tax incentives and helps prove that historic downtown buildings can be a vital part of their community.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search