The Georgia Trust

2013 PRESERVATION AWARDS: MARGUERITE WILLIAMS AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN RESTORATION

OLD POST OFFICE
Dublin, Laurens County

This impressive Beaux Arts building in Dublin served as a post office from1911 until 1936, when a new federal building was built a few blocks away. Since 1936 the building housed county offices, a pawn shop, an upscale restaurant and bar, and a residence. Through all its incarnations the building retained its beautiful architectural details, windows, and interior woodwork, as well as its austere classical exterior. The Old Post Office's restoration referenced the building's original plans, which had been stored in its attic, and paid close attention to the treatment of original finishes and period accessories. The finely restored building houses a technology company and provides additional office space to Dublin's historic downtown. This impressive project sets an excellent example of how to preserve and repurpose a decommissioned historic government building.

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search