The Georgia Trust

2013 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN REHABILITATION

Elbert County Armory-Auditorium
Elberton, Elbert County

The Elbert County Armory-Auditorium was built in 1941 as a Works Progress Administration project to house the local National Guard regiment and serve as a gymnasium and auditorium for the City of Elberton and its high school. After serving the community for decades, the building was closed by the fire marshal in 1992 and slated for demolition. A group of students, named the Hard Rock Kids, stepped in to prove the significance of this structure by writing a nomination for the "Rock Gym" to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 2004, following the Hard Rock Kids' successful nomination effort, the Elbert County Historical Society began the process of rehabilitating the Elbert County Armory-Auditorium. The building, consisting of large load-bearing masonry walls built of Elbert County's signature local rock, was stabilized and rehabilitated to serve as a conference center and museum.

 

 

 

 


CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search