The Georgia Trust

2012 PRESERVATION AWARDS: EXCELLENCE IN RESTORATION

BITSY GRANT TENNIS CENTER
Atlanta, Fulton County

The Bitsy Grant Tennis Center in Atlanta was designed in 1952 by Atlanta architect Richard Aeck. The restoration of the concrete and glass structure focused on the historic mid-century character of the facility. Most noticeably, non-contributing finishes were removed, original finishes were restored, and insulated glass for increased energy efficiency was installed in existing frames. On the interior, original paint schemes and even period furniture was chosen. Fundraising for the restoration was lead by the Friends of Bitsy Grant Tennis, and since its July 2011 reopening, the tennis center has already seen an increase in traffic. This is an exciting restoration for the Atlanta community and for the preservation of modern architecture.

 

CONNECT WITH US

twitter

Site Map   |   Search